Welcome to Druid Gameworks

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

TimesChu

witanlore
Still Alive?

5 posts in this topic

So, the devs for Witanlore have been noticeably silent for a while now. The latest update was in July, and they haven't updated the Dev Blog since May, nor can I find any recent posts here in the forums about the game's status. I've seen devs dump a game into Early Access, then get bored and leave it. I'm really hoping this neat game won't end up the same.

Witanlore is extremely ambitious for a small studio, so I'd understand why someone would maybe cut their losses and leave it, but it'd feel less underhanded if they at least said they were doing that.

Everything is still alive. The devs  have said that the next update is a large one so they'll be busy with that right now.

Also, the Indiegogo campaign starts in October, so prepping that will have kept things busy. Here's the prelaunch page https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/keep-witanlore-dreamtime-on-steam-early-access-rpg-adventure/coming_soon

If you're on Twitter then you can get some updates there from @DruidGameworks. I know from my experience that writing something for the public is difficult and time consuming so a quick tweet takes away less development time than a full update. Especially without a full-time PR-type person.

It's been a few months since I've checked up on Witanlore progress so I completely missed the new campaign. I think you guys should try again on Fig or Kickstarter but first you need to figure out how you're going to present this to the public. I've been watching this project for years now and I feel like the same mistakes keep happening over and over again and until these can be solved you're going to have funding problems.

The first video on your campaign page needs to be as polished as possible and show the the potential player what this game is all about. Some vague dialogue tied to cut-scenes of characters walking around a typical forest doesn't really tell us anything important. If you're going for atmosphere instead of gameplay then you need to put forward something that's unique and draws the viewer into your world. The viewer might ask: Why should I care about this world? What is this game about? Are there any cool environments? What's the story? You don't necessarily have to answer all of these questions but you should make sure what you do answer is compelling.

I saw this trailer recently and it blew me away:

It's drenched in atmosphere. The setting is visually unique, appealing, and calling out to be explored. The graphics are on point, the animations are smooth and cool to look at. The whole time I was thinking: Wouldn't it be awesome if there was an RPG in this setting?

Now I don't expect you to change your game into a lovecraftian hellscape but I think it's important to recognize some of the characteristics I pointed out above and decide how you want to present your game. Maybe your introduction video starts off in a beautiful cave that's hiding a really creepy monster and the viewer keeps seeing movements of this thing that's lurking in the shadows. But then it's revealed that this monster is actually a caring quest giver which allows you to show off your dialogue system and then cut to some combat footage, aerial views of stunning landscapes and possibly some lore to tie it altogether. You had a little bit of this in the second campaign video but the characters came off as a bit stiff or wonky and the contents of the video just seemed a little... boring? I felt like I was looking at an oblivion mod page instead of a brand new universe to explore. Since you don't have a history of released games backing you up people are going to be hesitant to support something that appears to be more of the same content-wise and that is why having a gripping trailer is so crucial to success. Sorry to rain on your work but if this doesn't get addressed the project is going to keep stumbling.

I may have been a bit too harsh on that previous post so let me suggest something more positive. In situations like this I've seen some indie developers work on small side projects to keep the funding going. One option you could consider doing is creating a short cRPG in the Witanlore world. Perhaps an adventure centered around a "legendary" character mentioned in Dreamtime. Since this would be an isometric game it would be much easier to put together models, textures, animations, etc. And the best part is that you already have an established universe and lore to pull from. Once it's released you'll have a finished game to reference when you do your next campaign for Witanlore. Anyway, just something to consider.