Welcome to Druid Gameworks

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

DarkRider

Druid Gameworks Announces Witanlore: Dreamtime

37 posts in this topic

In Dreamtime, the player assumes the role of a young Ursine from one of four main tribes, who's destiny has not yet been determined. At the game's start, they have reached the age of maturity known as the Chut’que (chewt kay) a time to undergo an honored ritual, the dreaming. Guided by the clan seer, the dreaming is an astral journey where Ursines travel into the spirit world to stand before their patron god and receive divine messages about their destiny. However, things will not be so easy for our intrepid player. For the first time in the long oral history of the tribes, the dreaming does not go as planned. The player finds more than a god waiting for them in the mists and is left with disconcerting images of a shrouded figure whose intent seems far from benevolent.

The story’s focus hinges upon the fate of an ancient relic, more specifically several artifacts which make up a whole and the player’s quest to retrieve them in an attempt to avert the looming threat foreshadowed in their vision. Through this journey the player will unravel the true purpose of the lost relic and of the Ursine tribes entrusted to its safekeeping, but will it be enough to divert the danger away from their family and homeland?

Dreamtime is expected to release on Steam semi episodically with the first episode retailing for around $6.99-7.99 USD. The official publish date is yet to be set but the project is heading to Greenlight soon and our goal is to have it on the digital shelves early this year!

Our Progress So Far...

HighresScreenshot00034_00016_zpsz09ywhv9

HighresScreenshot00034_00015_zpsmd2s3gtd

HighresScreenshot00034_00007_zpsuf5rezms

HighresScreenshot00034_00008_zpso4mpuv9i

HighresScreenshot00034_00013_zpsq87cwnay

HighresScreenshot00018_zpsradf8b8k.png

Edited by DarkRider

:dizzy:

I am still reeling from the excitement :) One big question I got is what sort of character customization options we can potentially look forward to? I am guessing facial appearance, body shape, fur color, tribal tattoos are selectable ... can we select gender? I am guessing we get to choose the tribe our Ursine will originate from, will that give some bonuses unique to each tribe? Do we only get to explore Ursine culture and histories? Will any of the other races show up in the game with some degree of interaction? Given the many features listed, I am expecting a fairly linear experience, or perhaps we can expect an open world kind of gameplay? On mini-games, I am thinking our Ursine can hunt small game for food, we can try our luck at the mystic merchant for nice gear. Will the enemies scale to our Ursine level? I am hoping not. Will there be some degree of randomness to the dungeons?

:clap: Now is the time for waiting, waiting, waiting ... (I can only use the edition for the PC)

@Guin: What a great theme! Added it at once to my favorite playlist. :wub:

Looks like my iPhone battery is going to be taking a hit...

- Hypno

Well I have to admit that I am not playing any games on my android mobile phone but reading that there will be a pc version some time awakes my interests. ;-)

Yay! Really looking forward to this although I'll first have to save for one of these devices so I can play. I also just love the music! :dance:

I'm sorry if this has been answered elsewhere, but will the PC version of Dreamtime be moddable? If so, how in-depth will it be? Will there be a CK-type program where we can build our own levels/quests/etc? Or will it be more like texture/mesh replacing?

- Hypno

I was hoping for more choices, but we wouldn't want the whole continent to be overrun with pandas. The concept art seem to hint each tribe will have armor / clothing that is unique to that tribe. Looks very interesting, just need more details :)

For Dreamtime we have to develop with a number of limits in mind, size for one. All the bears can use one set of animations for example, where as the races in Echoes would require a unique set of animations per race and take more space.

Making Dreamtime an Ursine tale keeps our assets to a manageable size limit, and we designed the various subcultures to give players variety :D

Each tribe will have unique features, including unique architecture, equipment and stats :ok:

i noticed on the last mail to the kickstarter you guys posted about the

The Mountain Tribe: Icecore

sens you are still working on a name how about the polar core? there polar bears after all. just my 2 cents.

I love the art guys! I honestly wish I could draw like that.  I'm going to get this on pc.  I'm personally stuck between either the Panda and the Polar. I really hope things go according to plan guys!

@DarkRider

And a very good concept art it is too! This is likely a scene in the dreamscape, a reason for the floating lights and the all around hazy look. The statue is of one of the Ursine patron Gods? Or more likely of an Ursine hero? The God should more likely be in the Temple. Together with the Temple, it all points to a pilgrimage, which would fit with the whole Ursine coming of age ritual. I got no clue on the purple disc at the foot of the statue. Is that a pool or a portal to a location? There be steps leading up to the pool, another part of the ritual?

This is all speculation on my part :)

New Concept Art for the OP!

Sewig_zps6d6059a5.jpg

This image portrays the village of Sewig, the ancestral home of the Blackclaw Tribe and the player's starting point in Dreamtime regardless of race chosen. An idyllic setting where young ursa run about playfully and the old contemplate their pipes while talking about their glorious pasts. This is the hearth of Ursine life and the beginning of your story, where you have friends, family, traditions and ties. Will you have the courage to leave your home and venture into an uncertain fate?

Absolutely stunningly beautiful concept art! I absolutely love this sort of thing.

New Concept Art for the OP!

CanyonExt_zps919be348.jpg

The Ruins of Kamal-tze. This canyon ridge city was once a bustling metropolis for the ancient Pangani, but a steadily increasing flow of volcanic activity from the north brought ash clouds and cataclysmic earth quakes to the region which made the city so unstable it was eventually abandoned. After the Pangani clans moved further south to safety the ruins quickly became home to more unsavory residents looking for shelter from the canyon's harsh and arid climate.

The exterior of the ruins will be challenging to navigate, the old walkways and bridges are liable to give way with one misstep, players will need to be careful negotiating the city looking for treasure and access points to the interior.

CanyonInt_zps0fd7a54d.jpg

The interior of the canyon city is just as treacherous and the player will need to be vigilant for the current residents, who are unaccustomed to guests. XD

Oh .. now that just looks, and sounds so very cool. I like the idea of suspended walkways ... dunno about that " liable to give way..." bit but, even that adds a great aspect to the environment. :pints:

More New Concept Art!

Hidden deep in the mountains, nestled against the base of Mount Mornoth, is an ancient monastery seemingly untouched by the passage of time. It's said this monastery was built by a proto-human race during the first age who worshiped an Ursine deity; which represented the power of nature to many early peoples, However, if the ruins are closely examined it's easy to see the influence of the Ursine in the architecture; it's broad doorways and heavy wood supports would suggest the brawn of the Ursines was necessary for even it's basic construction. Who built it, when, and where they went, remain unanswered questions.

MountainExt_zpsb6e14153.png

The interior of the ruin has clearly suffered for the harsh conditions outside. Ice, snow, and bitter winds have opened windows and gaps in the structure creating an icy tomb to explore. Intrepid players will need to move cautiously, there's no telling what dangers lay in wait, and the local Icecore clans would not welcome a stranger plundering the mysteries of their lands.

MountainInt_zpse484c31c.png

More great stuff from Leo. I'd expect to see some spectacular views from that monastery, :)