Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Grond (31 October 2014 - 10:44 AM) Seriously though, I'm in the International Brotherhood of Blender Bricklayers - IBBB for short
Grond (31 October 2014 - 08:18 AM) :coffee: & Posted Image
Donnato (31 October 2014 - 03:48 AM) :popcorn:
NorthGrizz (30 October 2014 - 01:47 AM) Had to sit through a bad movie during safety course day 1, where's the MST3K crew when they're needed?
Guin (29 October 2014 - 11:29 AM) please, keep it tidy and clean :P
SpectralDragon (29 October 2014 - 07:36 AM) Huh, nearly 24 hours and I am still the last one on the shoutbox :(
SpectralDragon (28 October 2014 - 05:12 AM) :icecream:
Donnato (28 October 2014 - 01:09 AM) :cookie:
Mannimagnus (27 October 2014 - 05:47 PM) I hope it'll snow here, much better than just a winter of just icy roads and rain. :lmao:
Donnato (27 October 2014 - 03:21 AM) Sure wish ya could send us some.
NorthGrizz (26 October 2014 - 09:45 PM) Yay, snow! Just another inch and I won't have to see my horrible lawn until April!
Donnato (26 October 2014 - 05:02 AM) Heheh .. I was going to ask where till I saw your time stamp was AM ... :P
Pale_Rider (25 October 2014 - 05:20 PM) Currently watcing Bethesda ExtraLife2014 game marathon. They will be playing Skyrim with mods - God I hope they use mine. :dizzy:
Donnato (25 October 2014 - 08:32 AM) Heheh ..
NorthGrizz (25 October 2014 - 05:54 AM) That's either a really sensitive mic or one REALLY loud scroll wheel :)
Donnato (25 October 2014 - 05:38 AM) Wow .. got my headset mic working... it picks up EVERYTHING ... even my sctoll wheel.
Donnato (25 October 2014 - 02:18 AM) Hello Mr. Bear .
RodneyBear (25 October 2014 - 01:59 AM) Greetings all! Still thinking up a "Given Name" for my character. :)
Donnato (25 October 2014 - 01:57 AM) :blink:
Draugmyrn (24 October 2014 - 09:11 AM) What character did you make SomeTimeZ?

Photo

We're Listening!! Tell Us What You'd Like to See in an RPG Game!

* * * * * 2 votes

• Please log in to reply
195 replies to this topic

DarkRider

DarkRider

Senior Project Manager

• Druid Gameworks
  • 825 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO, United States
Share your thoughts and ideas and you might just see them realized!

KSTag2014_zps8e255225.jpg

Donnato

Donnato

• Moderators
  • 284 posts
  • LocationSo.Cal

I have no idea what genre DGs going with but , one thing i think I can safely bring up is ... Ents .. Adventuring through forests I think it would be fun to look up into a "tree" and see it looking back at you. :rofl:

Posted Image

Grond

Grond

3D Artist

• Druid Gameworks
  • 226 posts
  • LocationHenneth Annun, IL, USA

If there were a way to pull it off without bringing about the wrath of "The Estate", I'd like that too.  :)

moar polys

Donnato

Donnato

• Moderators
  • 284 posts
  • LocationSo.Cal

Aww boo...I remember Castlevania had tree type Ents .. hard to beat and had good drops. In any case, I wasn`t thinking of a moving "creature", so much as a semi sentient entity...possibly with some simple, rough speach capabilities... heck, they could be called anything we want. I figure that one wouldn`t even "activate" untill a player got within a certain radius. Heck...for that matter it could be a large rock...:rofl:

Posted Image

InsanitySorrow

InsanitySorrow

Art Director

• Druid Gameworks
  • 363 posts
  • LocationNorthern Ireland, UK

Living Trees won't be a problem, seen a few games using that idea before, what would need to be avoided is the "Ent" name. Should be easy enough to make up a new name for them.

Would make for an interesting area in the game, a living forest :dance:

1shoedpunk

1shoedpunk

Layman

• Members
  • 3 posts

A balanced randomized weapon system, closer to Borderlands than Diablo 3, with a fair helping of weapons with pre-defined characteristics. It better reflects the reality of medieval weapon crafting, that not every weapon is created equal, and enhances the looting experience. Models can be made up of several different elements, again, cribbing a bit from Borderlands, so the physical appearance would be randomized as well.

Also, a more nuanced economic system could be interesting. Vendors in rural or remote areas could prefer barter and vendors in urban areas could prefer gold. Without knowing too much of your game world, it's a bit difficult to give examples, but, say, if you meet a hermit in the desert who has a gold ring, he'll be much more likely to trade it to you for a gallon of water than a merchant in a city would.

Oh, and one last thing for now: a trading game, potentially with a bit of player choice involved affecting the item you get at the end. While you probably don't want to turn this into a point and click adventure game, that sort of a quest chain can be fun, especially if you throw a bit of a twist on it.

DaMage

DaMage

Engine Technician

• Druid Contractors
  • 17 posts
  • LocationQueensland, Australia

If you have started developing already, how are you finding the Havok toolkits?

Also, congrats on the announcement.

At some point I will make a website for myself.....I just really hate trying to wrestle with HTML and CSS.

Jheuloh

Jheuloh

Layman

• Members
  • 6 posts

Not organized in any particular order.

1 - Not often seen weapons! I'd like to see a variety of weapons that tend to be rare or rare-ish in RPGs, some examples being katars, chakrams, bolas, wind and fire wheels, and other things to break the medeival european weapon mould that permeates RPGs. That being said, of the items I listed, I personally would most love to be able to do a katar-chakram combo.

2 - Shapeshifting! In games, shapeshifting at its core is just a flashier kind of buff spell, sometimes with the perk of lasting until you choose to end it... admittedly though I'm fond of that flashiness, plus if it's the kind where each form has a specialized use, I find it kinda fun to rotate between them as the situation demands (i.e. a stealth form, meat-shield form, swift form)

3 - Potential for homebrew companions! Something I think would be very neat is a system which lets you create a traveling/combat/whatever-buddy basically from the ground up (in the sense of physical appearance, name, arsenal, and skill-set.) I once saw this in my last days of Guild Wars, where there was a microtransaction in place that let you create a "hero" (mercenary/hireling that you could customize the skills and items for) version of a character you had made - if a player was willing to fork out the $ in micro-transactions, they could potentially have an entire party that was their creation alone.

3 - Modding! Given the community we're all from, this is maybe a "well duh!" thing. That being said, I'd hope that if this game is made on a traditional game engine such as UE3, CryEngine3, Unigine, etc, that the modding capacity which first brought this community together at TES series isn't completely lost or thrown to the wayside, even if it ends up surviving in only comparatively minor ways.

4 - Potential for online adventures (or maybe misadventures! XD) I don't mean in the dedicated server, Unreal Tournament or MMOG derived way, I mean in the Battle.net way (think Diablo II in particular - where there may be LAN or TCP/IP) in that there is a lobby room and players may create a game on a whim which they play together (or maybe against each other) in, with potential game-modification conflicts to be sorted between the participants.

5 - Echoing Other People's Opinions! I'll definitely have to echo what Donnato said about treants/ents/insert-original-name-here, it would be an interesting component of the world to be aware that some regions may appear to be populated by just foliage props... but come back an hour or two later and find that the forest rearranged itself while you were away, with some foot (root?)prints as the only proof unless you're patient enough to wait or lucky enough to stumble upon the last few rushing to their places. Careful where you chop for timber. :lmao:

I also would echo 1shoedpunk's commentary on the idea of merchants/vendors preferring barter more and more as you go further away from civilization, as subsistence becomes more important than currency.

DarkRider

DarkRider

Senior Project Manager

• Druid Gameworks
  • 825 posts

3 - Modding! Given the community we're all from, this is maybe a "well duh!" thing. That being said, I'd hope that if this game is made on a traditional game engine such as UE3, CryEngine3, Unigine, etc, that the modding capacity which first brought this community together at TES series isn't completely lost or thrown to the wayside, even if it ends up surviving in only comparatively minor ways.

Coming from a modding background modability is among the forefront of our design plan. We are using Havok's Vision Engine, but Havok has a freeware version in beta now that should allow our users to create free mods based on our game. :good:

Jheuloh

Jheuloh

Layman

• Members
  • 6 posts

Ah, so I can safely (insofar as that term goes in game development) say to myself "well no duh there's gonna be modding!" :D

As for other things we'd like to see... should we modify our first post in the thread/page, or create new posts as we come up with ideas? (So long as it avoids getting spammy of course.)

DarkRider

DarkRider

Senior Project Manager

• Druid Gameworks
  • 825 posts

You can make new posts it's cool, more likely to be seen that way :D

Vouivre

Vouivre

Initiate

• Druid Clan
  • 40 posts
  • LocationBerkley Massachusetts

To comment about the ents, why not call them something like "Forest Guardian" It's not calling them an ent, they're technically guardians of the forest, so it's not getting Tolkein(and whoever owns legal rights to make games/movies) all up in a tizzy.

Ideas:

I agree on modding ability, it brings a community and more creativity into the pool.

Weapons: Given Havok's engine.. being based what looks like.. greatly on physics. I could see Flails, and whips being used. Skyrim had Flail traps so it wouldn't be hard to imagine flail weapons coming shortly after. Whips would be tricker. Weapons I wouldn't mind seeing would be spears, lances and other pole arms. Maybe other kinds of weapons.

Online maybe depends on how it's done.. I could see something maybe like say... neverwinter's campaign/storyteller being done. Players have mods, and maybe even a "room" of 8 people could get together and play. It would be difficult and intensive on servers or pc's. Still something interesting to consider.. I'd personally want to see what the limits of this engine is.

Tamira

Tamira

Dreamer

• Origin Guild
  • 32 posts
  • LocationGermany

Coming from a modding background modability is among the forefront of our design plan. We are using Havok's Vision Engine, but Havok has a freeware version in beta now that should allow our users to create free mods based on our game. :good:

Modding!! That will be great of course!

"Havok has a freeware version" - I have seen that announced, is it pretty much the same that you use and is it already available? Link?

DarkRider

DarkRider

Senior Project Manager

• Druid Gameworks
  • 825 posts
It is available in beta now at www.projectanarchy.com though they haven't sorted out all the terms of use yet.

It's a bit downgraded from the version we license from Havok for pro dev, much like the CK is not as fleshed out as the Creation Engine Bethsoft uses, but still pretty functional. :)

InsanitySorrow

InsanitySorrow

Art Director

• Druid Gameworks
  • 363 posts
  • LocationNorthern Ireland, UK

Not organized in any particular order.

1 - Not often seen weapons! I'd like to see a variety of weapons that tend to be rare or rare-ish in RPGs, some examples being katars, chakrams, bolas, wind and fire wheels, and other things to break the medeival european weapon mould that permeates RPGs. That being said, of the items I listed, I personally would most love to be able to do a katar-chakram combo.

I think a nice range of weapons is pretty much guaranteed XD :wizard:

Jheuloh

Jheuloh

Layman

• Members
  • 6 posts

Considering the mods I can remember you making off the top of my head, this does not surprise me. XD

1 - Significant Races! Something that has come to bother is how insignificant the race you play as can be at times in some RPGS, where the abilities of the race you play as are basically throw-away by the end of the game, and also situations where the appearance of the races are nearly identical save for coloration or textures.

That being said, this shouldn't be suggested as taking any potential playable races (if there even are more than 1) as having stereotyped, slanted strongly towards overmuscled or fragile/gracile physiques either with no options for more moderated builds, and this commentary on physique is more geared to races that are definitely not human, like beast-folk and orcs and trolls and such.

2 - Not usually seen races! Similar to my sentiment about not often seen weapons, I'd like to see some weirder races beyond elves, dwarves, a token humanoid-animal (usually cat or lizard-people), etc, be it something made from scratch or something pulled from cultures rarely referenced in RPGs. Something like, say, sapient foliage (playable lesser-ents/treants/insert-original-name-here to go with Donno's NPC-ent suggestion, woo!), Djinns, Wisps, and other things like that which are creatively open-ended for use as a playable thing.

Asrien

Asrien

Layman

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • Location(Town not mentioning),Victoria,Australia

The key concept I want to see is heavy immersion. Being discrete about how a game employs its mechanics, making it more of an experience than a game.
The original idea of an RPG game as the actual playing of a role. I want to see a game that really makes you feel like you're in it, using things such as:
-World-integrated interface such as the one seen in Dead Space 2 (all interaction prompts were actually elements of the level design), not necessarily in a uniform manner, but at least having a smaller level of non-immersive UI.
-Realistic villagers/villages. How often do you walk into a town and are expected to fix literally all their problems? I know that that's what makes a game interesting, but couldn't it be done a little differently? In a way such as: You walk into a tavern and meet someone/some people and he/she/they introduce themself/ves, actually wanting to get to know you. They introduce you to some other people around town and rather than just being told to do something they ask you to after you get to know them a little (not making it take too long though).

-NOT using gaelic or any other Celtic/Irish system of naming creatures and/or items. It was one of the huge reasons I didn't like Kingdoms of Amalur. I like fantasy lingo, but taking it directly from an existing language and making everyone who talks about it a cliche is quite hard for me to enjoy, the words don't sound good in that context either.
-A choice between a discrete level-up system (what you do influences how you operate, but doesn't impede on immersing yourself) and the classic "put points in my tree" approach.
-Loads of customization and armour, because it's a good distraction when you're tired of killing and maiming.

-Random encounters. They make games more entertaining in my opinion, by adding the element of surprise and making you feel that there ARE things you haven't done.
-Memorable and epic spells, weapons, armour and locations. They really help you to enjoy a game.
-A well-integrated mod system, not like those used by games like Far Cry and Jedi Academy (I am aware of how old those games are but they're still examples). The way Skyrim did it was good, but something like an in-game mod library where you can just click, download and activate. People generally don't stop with mods once they start, and mods are like new technologies for the game in my opinion, like when a new suit of armour is released on a website, it makes me feel like a game is changing (forced maybe but still in a good way).

-Not using a super decent voice actor like Patrick Stuart or Liam Neeson as a cameo. They're people you want to hear OFTEN in a game, because of how awesome the experience is when you hear someone so distinct and epic.

I have more but this is probably going to invoke some reactions both positive and negative, so I'll stop.
Thanks if you actually read it all too! :P

TDW

TDW

Layman

• Members
  • 8 posts
Tell Us What You'd Like to See in an RPG Game!

Well, most of all I'd like to see something, which I haven'nt already seen in hundrets of similar RPG before. Almost all major titles inspire modders to create TC and make a world of their own. In the end most of them turn up to be more or less an exact copy of the already existing, with just other naming conventions.

It's always the Messiah-from-the-old-prophecies-saves-the-world scenario, kind of turning the bible into an RPG again and again. I'd love to see something fresh and maybe unexpected.

Same goes for the game world and it's inhabitants. I know there are a lot of hardcore RPG fans out there that cannot live without elves,dwarves and humans, but why not spice it all up with some new custom races. Beast races for example are a major deficite in all available RPG games and if they have some, most times they're only for hack and slash issues. Speaking of this game, I really loved the concept of that wolven-race, but the info "non-playable-race" was an instant let down for me. I think beast races have a huge potential and can make a game very unique. I'd definitaely make use of that.

Speaking of the game world: Medievil european setting has become almost a standard these days. That's ok, because everyone is used to it from various games and movies and it works, but does it always have to be that generic. Take a look at Morrowind for example. Every race, architecture and region had it's own unique design and identity. Kind of freaky realism. I'd like to see a game like that again.

Got a lot more ideas, but this would be the mosst essential aspects for myself.

DogToothCG

DogToothCG

Layman

• Banned
  • 4 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

I would definitely enjoy seeing a select few "epic" boss monsters, unique both in combat style, appearance, and scale. In the vein of Shadow of the colossus, to interject a sort of "puzzle" aspect to combat, with alternate attack styles so they may be taken down with the brute force of a tank type build, or to pull some God of War type crawl along the leviathan combat.

"The greatest sin is to be unteachable."-Dr Pat Allen

RonRay33

RonRay33

Ancient Mariner

• Origin Guild
  • 18 posts
  • LocationAnnapolis, Maryland USA

1/ Relative to Donnato's sentient ('Ents') trees, the idea could work well as one stage of a multistage lifeform, such as the 'Piggies' in Orson Scott Card's book Speaker For The Dead

2/ If it had a chance of utilizing Oculus VR for 3D, the immersion could be mind blowing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users