Welcome to Druid Gameworks

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

DarkRider

We're Listening!! Tell Us What You'd Like to See in an RPG Game!

197 posts in this topic

I`m not sure if this has been asked but, how about guilds and their associated questlines..? A huge part of my attraction for the games I play have to do with joining guilds...such as Mages (or the like) and , Fighters (or guardian and the like) . Not big on Thieves or ES`s Dark Brotherhood ... but I know that they`re also a big fav. in the community.

What about something like a Handler`s guild, which would allow a player, upon completion, summoning and direction/control over creatures , and maybe certain faction NPCs ?

We do have plans for several guild choices, they will be optional, players will not be railroaded into joining any factions that don't jive with that character's role play experience. We have a guild planned that's very similar to what you describe as a "Handler's Guild" for us, they are Rangers. :good:

:coolup: I did feel a bit "railroaded" in other games so...it`ll be very interesting to see how you folks handle this. :pints:

Something that bothers me with TES- and other games is the nights.

I would really appreciate to see darker and more dangerous nights, like vampires, bandits and such waiting for the night to leave there hideouts and search for lone wanderers in the wilderness.

There should be a reason for the player to find shelter and a warm bed, others than leveling up by sleeping or waiting for the shops to open again.

If you really have to travel at night, you should need a lantern or a torch and be aware of the dangers.

Also, there should be places too dangerous for low level players. A foggy graveyard in the middle of nowhere should be to difficult to be cleared with a dagger and leather armor, or something like this. I liked this about the gothic series, where you just couldn't go deep into the woods at the beginning, because there would be the strong monsters.

And there could be an impact of the players actions on the spawn of monsters and alike, like clearing out a big bandits hideout would result in seeing fewer bandits on the streets, but leaving the area for too long might lead to an infestation of the cleared hideout with other monster or enemies which then roam the lands.

I hope this inspires you... ;)

1. I think the biggest thing is No Limits... Like in Elder Scrolls from Daggerfall to Skyrim. Do what you want with your character and not be forced (FYI: If you pick a Warrrior class, you can't use magic. I HATE bullcrap like that). That or have no "class system" at all and just let the players pick on their in their heads, you know?

2. A good world mixure. Like have deserts, plains, frozen north, etc... And even a specific area of the game where it is always dark and is suppose to be more focus around the darker beings of the world (Like maybe Vampires and Lycans? Though I got this little thought from RuneScape's Morytania area personally).

3. Speaking about that kind of stuff. Pretty epic and diverse Vampirism and Lycanthropy disease though make sure they aren't annoying. (When I mean by diverse, as in... There being different groups of vampires, each one similar but also different. Like one could be immune to sun damage but lack major magical abilities. Same thing for Lycans, some control themselves. Some forced by the moon. Etc... Why? Mainly because there are a diverse fanbase around this area, each with their own ideas of said things).

4. Epic 2-Handed Sword similar to Chrysamere from Elder Scrolls. You know, a powerful paladin holy looking sword with the magical abilities of healing and protecting the weilder from dangerious magics... Also, crossbows and a full set of heavy armor that is great with said stuff. (I'm extremely picky with weapons and armor I use and they have to match greatly together, especially for my main character!).

5. NO repair stuff... Personally, I have a strong dislike of having to repair things mainly because it becomes a burden one way or another... So I would prefer if you guys do what Skyrim did and not do a repair system but instead focus more on Blacksmithing.

6. Respawning dungeons, leveling enemies, etc. You know, enemies in dungeons will respawn and level up with you as you grow stronger (Don't want to get too high of a level where enemies become too boring. But don't over do it like Bethesda did with Oblivion).

7. Radiant Quests. I'm a huge fan of Radiant Quests in Daggerfall and Skyrim mainly because it keeps me busy with things rather than ended up bored cause I did everything that my character will do... (FYI: Simple stuff like being hired to take a bandit leader or kill a dragon).

8. Diversity of guilds.

9. Muffins. There gotta be something muffin related in the game.

10. And I'm always up for some awesome small friendly references. The more the better if you ask me.

One thing I'd *love* to encounter in Unwritten: Echoes of Twilight are various kinds of therianthropes - all living in different parts of the game world. They could really flesh out the (un)natural ecosystem and make things way more interesting if the player could be victimized by all kinds of beast bloods. :thumbsup:

To give some examples:

Werecrocodiles or weremonitor lizards could be native to both jungles and ancient mangrove forests, where werebats would be right at home in subterrain areas. If the game world boasts of large deserts as well, then there's also the possibility to create exotic, never seen before werescorpions as well. From arthropods, to amphibians, reptiles and birds, or even already extinct animals - the possibilities of werecreatures are unlimited!

In any case, please do not add werewolves or werebears as the sole representatives of therianthropy. That train of thought was done already by too many game developers.

In any case, please do not add werewolves or werebears as the sole representatives of therianthropy. That train of thought was done already by too many game developers.

All I gotta say is, they gotta add werewolves, as well as different clans (Like I said above). I do agree about having a variety but they gotta have werewolves if they have any. I can't stand being any other kind of Lycan personally. (Also personally, isn't a big fan of forced transformations and prefer the ability to control yourself)...

Actually, that gave me an idea. If this game has attributes and specifically Willpower and Intelligent, maybe if you have high Willpower and Intelligent, you can control you beast form and change when you want, never being forced? I would agree with that personally. Would keep low levels from being too powerful at low level, without a cost, and by the time you are high, the beast form wouldn't be as deadly to your enemies (Due to tougher opponents).

Put some mysterious oddities into the game world, like the sailing stones in Death Valley. Possibly talking fog, or a sentient pond, or something equally strange.

Put in legends that obliquely reference pop culture, such as encounters with rooms that are smaller on the outside (Doctor Who).

Okay. This post is gonna be specifically about enemies and AI...

Make sure the AI are set so they do have a dislike for one another depending on what they are. Like for example, undead will pretty much attack anything living. Demonic beings will most likely have a dislike for anything that lives in the world (And not from the hellish realm they are probably from). etc... Also, make sure Liches hate one another. I love watching Lich VS Lich fights from time to time XD.

As for enemies... Well I know for sure you guys can use common ideas... Like for example Liches, Skeletons, Zombies, etc. (Most undead beings are quite common if you think about it). Same thing with wildlife and monsters (monsters being you know giants, trolls etc). I think the hard enemies that you will need to make up would be mostly Demonic and Holy type of stuff. I personally would like to see some sort of Demonic race similar to TES's Dremoras just because I think that would be best common Demonic enemy. You know? A demon race from the hellish realm and probably has maybe pet hellhounds with them a lot? (Hellhounds would count as a common thing if you ask me). But also, don't forget. Make a lot of your own stuff as well. It's always cool to see unique things in a games.

Oh and one thing I wish to ask. If you guys end up doing Liches, make sure they are about as tough or even tougher than dragons mainly because generally, Liches can be powerful enough to kill dragons. Also, would be smart to make sure if there are two or more Liches around, make it so you can tell which undead enemies they are controlling (Maybe a magical glow in their eyes that matches the Lich's staff? This also means different Liches should have different staves with different magical glows).

Heheh... Sentient Ponds...*Shades of Ster Trek NG* ...Where Tasha Yar is killed by Armus ... an entity originally encounted as a pool of tar like substance.

Another thing I'd like to see is a rival/nemesis; a champion of the opposite side to oppose you. Say you're on a quest to collect the five [objects] of [thing]. When you get to the fourth one, you find this other person already there. The other champion explains that he/she has been after the same things, but works for the other side. The two of you battle inconclusively, with one or the other forced to flee. You encounter each other several times over the course of the main quest (and maybe a few side quests) until you have that final showdown.

A bounty hunter guild where you can be assigned to capture or kill fugitives. If you capture them and return them to headquarters, you get a larger bounty than you would for just killing them.

I like the idea of a pond that talks to you :lmao:

Thanks! :D I can just see ripples on the surface accompanying every word. :wizard:  Maybe you can do a quest for the pond, and afterward you can step into it and emerge in another body of water (i.e., you enter the pond in Aerendwel and exit in Belenus).  :tardis: 

Heheh... Sentient Ponds...*Shades of Star Trek TNG* ...Where Tasha Yar is killed by Armus ... an entity originally encountered as a pool of tar like substance.

:shock: Wow, you're right! I hadn't even noticed the similarity, and I'm a huge Star Trek fan! :blush: 

Another thing I'd like to see is a rival/nemesis; a champion of the opposite side to oppose you. Say you're on a quest to collect the five [objects] of [thing]. When you get to the fourth one, you find this other person already there. The other champion explains that he/she has been after the same things, but works for the other side. The two of you battle inconclusively, with one or the other forced to flee. You encounter each other several times over the course of the main quest (and maybe a few side quests) until you have that final showdown.

I really like this idea.  :yes:

Kiddo says she'd like to see a mysterious character randomly pop up in the game to give side-quests. Granted, we're not even sure exactly how you're already planning to do things, or if that's way off base. She's the gamer...I dunno what's going on. I'm just gonna go get some coffee, now...

I sure hope this is moddable.  I have no skills in modding, but I can not play RPGs without them!

I also think alchemy should be a major function in this game.  Don't just call them generic names, such as HEALING, ABSORB SPELL, etc.  Please give them unique names, like ANTHER'S ELIXIR OF BODILY FUNCTION, or something along those lines.  And also, I hope there are just REAMS of different alchemical ingredients...like creature body parts, creature blood, creature lymph, etc...for more info, check an anatomy textbook or something.  Feel free to also consult a plant book for additional plant parts to add...so that you not just have PLANT X, but BUDS OF PLANT X, LEAVES OF PLANT X, etc...

In real life chemistry, there are alkaline and acidic solutions.  I think it would be cool if you could make each type...for instance, have an Alkaline potion of Flame, which can be used as a poison...but which is not as powerful as an Acidic potion of flame...but costs less and the ingredients to make it are more common/cheaper.

I hope there will be tons of books in the game to read...sort of like Elder Scrolls...and book mods people made. 

I hope you make several different religous cults.  And several differnt quests for each one. 

I am hoping for tons of guids with quests to do once you join.  Again, call them something besides the generic titles of fighters', thieves', mages' etc.  Maybe you can make other guilds...alchemists' guild, hunters' guild, explorers' guild, illusionists' guild, etc...the more guilds, the better!

When it comes to nights outside, make them to where you need a torch the later it gets.  I mean really need a torch.  And inside homes, etc...need firest, torches, etc.  And when it comes to dungeons...torches are a necessity or your life will end sooner than you think.  Also, make night eye, and mage light spells really needed.  For a clue on darkness...check out the Skyrim mod ELFX.

Mayhaps you can make quests for certain evil guilds to actually somehow make it to the heavens and damage/defeat/or embarass/steal from the Gods. 

And pretty please, most of all, don't have an automatic main quest beginning.  Let the player explore and decide if they want to do whatever they want to do.  Let them find the main quest beginning on their own...you might have to only mention it very briefly in the instruction manual.  We are adults...and will play it our way.  This should be like the new version of Elder Scrolls...without all those stupid arrows, etc.  If anyone gets stuck on a quest or something...there is a message board on this site for....HINTS!

This is what I'd like to see in order of priority if any are possible:

1) Complex, interactive characters, both NPCs and companions. My favourite example for this would be Dragon Age: Origins. You can talk to a companion for ages and get to know them, they all have opinions, beliefs, secrets, goals and dreams, there's consequences for what you do depending on if they agree, are neutral or disagree with you. This is my favourite thing about that game, the characters are what make the story feel vibrant and alive. NPCs are important to be this interactive and deep as well, like Flemeth, the mysterious witch who talks in riddles and always has an ulterior motive, you don't ever know very much about her besides that she is very, very powerful and there's something unnatural about her, she's only appeared 4 times in the series, each time for less than 10 minutes and that's all it took to form this massive, ominous air of mystery around her that drives you to find out more. There can never be enough interesting characters, so please as many as possible! :)

2) Important and interactive decisions to be made in the story and gameplay. Dishonored and Dragon Age are great examples of this. Being able to steer the story in a different direction adds loads of immersion and replay value, it makes you stop and think "What do I want to happen? What will the consequences be? Is it the right thing to do? What is the difficulty in doing that?" It creates a personal hook into the story, that you put the game world into the state it is in, it adds meaning to you playing your role and makes your experience feel personal and unique, which is always great and fun!

3) Really interactive chargen. To follow up on characters, making your player character interesting is just as important. The more customability the better. Something I'd like to see is assets that could be unique to just the player and not available to NPCs. Usually it's the other way around, where an NPC has a unique hairstyle or something. One of my pet peeves is an important character having something looking the same as another because then they're not unique and individual like people are in the real world, and for me having your own character have something the same as an NPC is really off-putting because it makes your character feel less personal, so for this reason I would love if there were some eye colours, hair styles and other things that were only available to your character so that you could by default look unique and individual in the game world without having to install a hair pack or eye texture mod or something else like that. :D

4) Incredible lore, legends and mythology that we can encounter in game. Artifacts, powerful, forbidden magic, rituals, secret shrines, forgotten gods, spirits and demons, strange, rare, magical and interesting fauna and flora, portal to other dimensions, realms and worlds, all of that. I'd love to be able to find a cave not marked on a map where you find the tomb of a necromancer or something and could follow his instructions to perform a ritual to summon something or learn how to become undead, or to find an ancient ruin with runes engraved upon a wall that you have to learn to decipher somehow by excavating the ruin and maybe coming across a ghost of one of the long dead inhabitants that could aid you in doing that, anything at all like that would be immensely fascinating.

5) A variety of starts to the game. Like Dragon Age's Origin stories and Arthmoor's Alternate Start mods, it would be great if you could decide where you came from and what your background was. I also agree with yzerman19 on discovering the main quest for ourselves. An RPG is primariliy the story of your character, you're playing the role of your character in the world, so your start in the game would set you up in it with your own background and motivations to explore and adventure on a quest for whatever is it you wish, then you would in your own time come across the main quest, it being the most essentially important story. While you'd do so in your own time, it would be a must that you'd find it eventually.

6) Large castles and cities that feel like they are a proper civilisation. In Skyrim and Oblivion the cities just don't feel authentic anymore. A city with less than 50 people just feels odd, like the land is hardly populated. If cities in Unwritten could be made as big as possible it would be brilliant for making the land feel like it really has a civilisation. The only games that have managed to pull this off sadly had to make it so that you could only visit a part of the city with the rest off limits and to your imagination, namely Dishonored and Dragon Age. In Dishonored you only see parts of Dunwall, in Dragon Age: Origins parts of Denerim and in Dragon Age: II parts of Kirkwall, yet they each feel like a city because your imagination lets the limit of how possibly big they could be whatever you can imagine. Because your world is open all of the city would need to be accessible, so would such large cities that actually feel like cities be possible? Maybe (Probably?) not, but if the effort is put in to make them feel as much like a city as possible hopefully it would pull off the immersion of the world feeling populated and not underpopulated like the others.

7) Interactive craftsmanship. It would be awesome if alchemy actually felt like alchemy, not just a list where you select what to mix together, but you actually being able to put something into a mortar and grinding it down, or mixing a solution of a solid and liquid substance in a retort and purifying it. Basically to make an actual little mini-game for crafting, instead of a boring creation menu, that would make crafting so much more interesting, fun and immersive. It would also allow for you to make mistakes and maybe blow up your lab... make a mistake and your experiment could go horribly wrong. That would be fun! If spell crafting was a possibility it would be great like that, having your spell backfire upon testing it on a subject. :lmao: Also, don't know if it would be possible, but in the general idea of the Heathfire DLC or the Real Time Settler mod for Fallout 3, it would be incredible if you could build your own house or town anywhere in the game world, find a spot in the world you like, and build.

#WallOfText

That's all of the ambitious things I hope are possible that I'd like to see that I can think of right now, if any of them were in the game I'd be very, very happy.

And even if none of them are in it I'm going to be very, very happy with it anyway, no doubting that. :D

Let me rant a bit. I take examples from other games.

Well, if you're creating a Role Playing Game, then create a Role Playing game. Nothing wrong with stats and numbers; don't be afraid of statistics and numbers. Morrowind got it right; Skyrim got it wrong. Morrowind was actually the unused blueprint for the perfect RPG. Take that game as an example. Something went wrong along the way, although Oblivion wasn't half-bad, and we ended up with Skyrim, which is nothing but an action game with a little RPG features thrown in, wood chopping to simulate detail and decapitation perks to be politically correct.

The player character is the most important thing. That's why it's called an RPG. make us love our characters and treat them like our very own, beloved creations.

Create classic NPC's and classic locations. NPC's like Caius Cosades, who we all remember although he was created with simple means back then, but I was in deep sorrow, on the brink of depression, when he left Balmora. I didn't give a rat's about that guy who was voice acted by Max von Sydow in Skyrim. I don't even remember that bloke's name. You know, the guy you find in the sewers and take with you up to that temple. Voice acting is secondary. Maybe use the same system as in Morrowind, with people having voice acted conversations in the game world, but once you get to dialogue, you're treated to a text-based interface. Way easier to implement and detail.

Exploration and open-world mentality has been important to me in any RPG since Ultima IV back in the 80's actually. Also, customizable, upgradable equipment like armour and weaponry, but also spells. Maybe an intricate and interesting spell creation system would be in order. Daggerfall got spell creation right.

Complete moddability and support, so I can design my own continents and landmasses and fill them with quests. :D

EDIT: And after posting this I went and read the game description on the home page. Seems like I don't need to worry at all. Looking forward to seeing this develop! :D

Another possibility...is to leave the voice acting to modders who want to do it...just right the script out and have it run.  The Voice actors guild is quite a force on its own.  This would cut down on your budget...don't need to hire voice actors.  Eventually, I am sure people will make their own voice mods just like the two Skyrim mods.

Alright so I'm just gonna compose a list off the top of my head here. What you guys are doing is great, and everything you did with TES series was great, I'm on board.

- I would like to own a property, but I want its location to variable. I like the idea of eventually making my own estate, away from the cities of the world, but the immersion of this is broken in a game like Skyrim because you're limited to three lots pretty much (assuming you aren't using another mod).

-Variable terrain. Trees are really, really tough but not invulnerable. If a fireball flies by and hits a small tree, that tree should be no more.

-Realistic reactions to the environment. Characters walk slower through mud or deep snow. You hear shivers when your character is cold. Characters warm their hands on fires, etc.

-Dynamic weather. I want to see storms rolling in. I don't want to be able to see stars at night while it is raining.

-Stat allocation for character building and gear that has some sort of intrinsic stat req. TES did this in interesting ways with your carry weight capacity, but in the end I like the idea of your character being locked in a bit. Every character being  a jack of all trades breaks immersion.

-A very wide variety of weapons, each granting variations on play style. 

-The perk system in Skyrim is really cool, and I think integrating that with a more old-school trait selection would be great. A good example of the leveling system I'd want can be found in a game like Path of Exile (only with more build variation than that  game)

- Hardcore mode. You die its over.

-Survival mode. Hunger, thirst, sleep deprivation, hypothermia, bleeding and wound maintenance.

-The ability to set up camps, and a game mechanic that actually makes you need/benefit from sleep. I think I may have gone like, 20 hours real-time since my character last slept in Skyrim.

-I think races should have advantages and disadvantages. The race that makes a great bruiser should make a shitty mage.

-Timing based combat. In vanilla skyrim and oblivion there were no punishments for sitting there with your shield up. I think this game could benefit from an active combat system based off of timing. A well timed block causes opponent to stagger, a poorly timed block (i.e you were just holding it) will do nothing and your enemy senses your weakness and beats on you until he breaks your block; that sort of stuff.

-Adventuring-based skills. Perhaps not skills that go towards your characters stat and level progression, but wilderness survival and travel skills like mountain climbing, lumber harvesting, mining, swimming, running, fire making.

All I got in me right now

EDIT: I'd also like to add to the chorus of people saying the MORROWIND is the perfect blueprint for an rpg. The story, the characters, the environment are pretty much perfect although dated and the game itself is buggy. The only player-character on par with the nerevarine for me personally is maybe the player character from Knights of the Old Republic. To get into the character I have to care, and in Skyrim it was just RAWR YOU GOTTA KILL THE DRAGON and it was a little hard to get into.

I like the idea of sentient trees like treants, and it reminds me that something I always dislike about most games are the forests. Most forests are somewhat bare, have mostly repetitive tree models, don't have enough wildlife, and just don't feel dense and confusing enough. I want to be able to get lost in a forest, not be able to see through it from one side to another!

And speaking of wildlife, good wildlife is another thing. Skyrim for example has quite a few critters, but not enough, and their AI is horrendous. The addition of spawners for bugs and birds are a nice touch, but again they're very limited in how they act. Even if we can't kill/collect/interact with a critter, it'd be nice to see more of them than you do in most RPGs. 

Something I like about Skyrim's dragons is that they can actually fly and land on things (to a limited extent). Another example is the mod SkyBirds. I think something that most games don't have enough of is Z-axis content, whether it be the map or NPCs. Birds that actually fly around and land on things, as well as bugs, harpies, hawks, you name it. This would also open up the possibility of proper flying pets that follow you by flying and are capable of landing on nearby objects (or the ground) when your character is standing still.

A large map with large landscapes would be great. Something I dislike about Skyrim is that it feels relatively small due to how the mountains break the map up and take up so much space, as well as the small regions. I think most people would be fine with some longer travel times in exchange for more realistic distances and good scenery.

As mentioned by enigma7x, some destruction and dynamic terrain/objects would be nice. Trees that can be burned down, fences that can be broken, and so on. I've always believed these kinds of things make the world feel more real and alive. 

Dynamic NPCs/mobs. Something that Mortal Online was supposed to have for example was the ability to cause extinction of an animal species by killing too many of them too frequently. Another thing was animal migration, the herds would move areas depending on the time of year as well as other environmental impacts (such as frequent attacks by players). An example you can see in some Skyrim mods is dungeons and forts changing hands. If you clear a lair, someone else might take over after time passes. If you clear a fort, you could have an allied faction take over, or if left alone, bandits might return. This really helps keep the game less static and adds replay value, so that every playthrough doesn't have the exact same guys in the exact same place all the time. This could also translate to NPCs such as vendors or quest givers, a traveling merchant might not visit a city that has a rough economy as much as a city with a great economy, affected by how the player trades and how well off the vendors are from the trading.

And finally, the economy. Something that most RPGs fail to do is have a good economy. Most games have worthless currencies past a certain point, with nothing to spend your money on. A good economy not only makes loot and currency worth getting, it also makes it possible to have more merchant-oriented playthroughs.

Just a few wants and ideas.  :P

One other thing that should be addressed are:

1) The player's impact on the environment (footstep sounds, or making holes in the snow, throwing rocks, etc.)

2) Seasons -- one thing almost every other RPG ignores almost entirely... it'd add phenomenal levels of immersion to the game.

Hi all,

a few thoughts:

- choices have consequences which only rarely can be undone, by another choice or event. That means player can irretrievably fail every, YES EVERY, quest or mission. And remain in the world to look at his/hers/its failure if not killed while failing, Player may kill all, spare all, accept all, refuse all as player pleases. And live with it for the remainder of the playthrough...

- realistic(or rather believable) looking weapons and armour. Although I do admit that in a world where magic works a steel-wire bikini might offer better protection than best RL Milanese plate,

- no possibility to become master of everything. Possible to become a maid of all work, but without excelling at anything in such a case.

- gender differences within races/species. Political correctness be damned!

- no handholding, like minimap IFF, sneak effect indicator and so on,

- starting sequence as I read it already implies some kind of main quest. NO such thing, player is a nobody(unwritten slate...) just before his/hers/its clan initiation. It would be great were it possible to explore the world without ever stumbling on the MQ(depending on choices made) or interact with others(NPC:s) who are actually involved in the MQ while the player is not, if there is such at all.

If others posted similar ideas earlier, please see this as support for those.

Rgds, Haldir