Welcome to Druid Gameworks

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

DarkRider

We're Listening!! Tell Us What You'd Like to See in an RPG Game!

197 posts in this topic

We are not using/adding procedural generation :)

Yeah, I caught that in the other thread.  May I ask why you guys made that decision?  Familiar ground?  Capitalization of expansion/sequel content? Engine limitations?

We want to give each dungeon a unique story and hand crafted touch; for a richer experience. Unwritten is about tying different story elements into your tale so each dungeon setting should have a story and depth that can be added to the player's tale. :)

that sound cool... I like the idea that a dungeon is not only a levelling/collecting bounty tool.

I have a question... the world will level with the pg? Because I prefer static word... you can say that if the world is static you reach a point where there is no more challenge but if the world grow with the pg what's the meaning of lvls? I like the idea to have to run away because I'm not ready for that challenge and came back later when i'm more prepared.

About non-lineat dungeon you can make an option that give a map to a pg or add vendor with some map (like castle archive)... I find skyrim dungeon very unrealistic with always a shortcut...

It would be cool if the player could create their own guild, with a good command system so you could strategize you're attacks. I've always wanted to command my own group of bandits, to sit and wait on some road in a forest and when a traveling merchant or something comes down the road I could command my men to attack and ambush them then take all the loot, maybe I kill them all, maybe I let one live to spread fear into the hearts of the village people. On the other side of the spectrum the player might make a guild devoted to helping others and making the lands safer, like the Vigilants of Stendarr that hunt down evil creatures. It would be great if you could have branded armors or tattoos for you're guild, create rankings for members or even make separate chapters within it for different purposes like one group of thieves and another of assassins. Maybe once you're guild gets stronger you could buy up properties and run them like a syndicate and influence the economy and other guilds. 

Another thing that would be cool is if the clothes and armors effected the player more than how fast you walk and how much damage you take. If there were shoes that have more grip that help you climb steeper slopes or make you harder to knock back when in combat. Also if the size of you're armor effected you're maneuverability so you don't do as much damage with heavy armor because you cant swing you're sword as fast, but with less armor you do more damage and take more as well but you have a better chance of dodging attacks. If you could get you're armor fitted it would be more maneuverable and quieter when sneaking.

Something else that would be cool is if instead of enchanting weapons and bows, since most games portray magic as something that comes out your hands, maybe you could combine magic and you're weapon by freezing you're sword to do extra damage right before an attack, or charge an arrow with electricity right before you fire it for extra damage, so if someone had thick metal armor that you're weapons do little damage to using electricity in you're arrow or sword would do extra damage because you would be sending it through their armor. Maybe instead of just pre charged staffs there could be two types, one that already has power in it and another that amplifies you're spells when you shoot them through the staff first.

It would be great if you could BE a traveling merchant, another thing I've wanted to do in fallout was get my own pack Brahmin and explore the wastes with people coming up to ME to buy and sell. It would be cool if there was a buying and selling option for every NPC in this game and you could see someone with some nifty armor, and instead of killing them or just walking away, you could see how much $$$ it would take for them to part with it. but when dealing with regular NPC's that aren't merchants you cant just sell all you're junk to them and take all their money, they could refuse to buy things from you and maybe (if the buying selling screen looked anything like Bethesda's) you're list would have certain highlighted items that the NPC wants from you. This could open up a bunch of mini quests cause people could tell you that they have been looking for something, and if you bring that something back to them they will give you more money than you would get selling it to a random merchant.

The first thing off the top of my head I think would be to have more interesting interactions with unknown NPCs.  It always bugged me in Oblivion and Skyrim that 90% of everything outside of a city or town were invariably hostile towards you.  You should be able to talk anybody, including hostile NPCs, with varying reactions depending on who you are and who they are and how friendly or not they are towards you.  Even if all you get for your trouble is for them to spit in your face and attack you, you should still be able to attempt to hold a conversation with them.

Maybe something that would help towards that is the ability to talk to someone from a little further away than you'd typically see in most modern RPGs.  I think it's a little silly that you have to literally be within five feet of someone to even say "Hello", and if you could shout at someone from a bit of a distance then it'd make more sense to try to talk to people before you approach them.

I also hope that you guys are going for a more solid approach to combat, but I assume this is something that you already have a vision with and are already in the process of working it so I suppose there's no point harping on about it.

Another thing that I'd like to see, something which I already discussed in the other suggestions thread, is a fleshed out economy for the game.  Something akin to Mount and Blade or along those lines with a real trading network.  A polished system for politics would be nice as well.

Other than that, I'm not sure if I can think of anything that hasn't already been said before, so I'll leave my thoughts there.

The first thing off the top of my head I think would be to have more interesting interactions with unknown NPCs.  It always bugged me in Oblivion and Skyrim that 90% of everything outside of a city or town were invariably hostile towards you. ...

QFT

QFT

Indeed, I have no idea how anyone can manage to travel the roads of Skyrim, for instance, without numerous guards and all that.  Yeah, sure, Bethesda did it to avoid gameplay getting boring, perhaps, but personally I find it annoying to be attacked all the time.  Breaks my immersion, and it is a cheap way of avoiding "dull" gameplay.

And to add to that -- any predator (and some others) always being hostile doesn't makes sense either.  They would end up extinct or very rare indeed.  Self-preservation is a big driving force, predators would rather pick on easy targets, since injury can mean death to a wild animal.  Once again, mods saved the day there for me.  Push to close and perdators will attack, but they won't come sprinting at you from far away.

This one is in response to the original question.

Z axis travel.  I was reminiscing about my Daggerfall experience, and one thing the Elder Scrolls lost between chapters 2 and 3 was climbing!  I loved that you could climb walls!  One time, I hex edited the starting questionnaire of Daggerfall to give myself super jumping height (jumping to the tops of tall city buildings was hilarious for me - less hilarious was that I would jump so high, I took damage every time I landed), which of course chapter 3 had the jump spell, which was really neat.  And, of course, levitation and feather falling had their places.

Also, as a caveat, I don't expect every single thing I list to be in this game.  Some of them are inspired ideas, and others are some things I really enjoyed in other games.  If the game feels like it could be straight out of a table top RPG (not specifically any existing one), and used the D&D alignment system and no Z axis travel, I'd still be quite content.  Ideally, it would be great to have all the wants if they could be incorporated and fit the vision for the project.  But I recognize programming overhead, balancing needs, and creative vision all have to be dealt with, so not everything we want would fit.

To add to this, if Unwritten has a perk system of some kind, there could be a Parkour skill tree with abilities like:

- Hopping over locked gates (that you could lockpick too)

- Navigating up tree branches to jump on top of unsuspecting enemies

- Climbing up difficult walls to retrieve loot

- Spying on people from on top of buildings (Assassin's Creed style)

- Increasing jump distance and sprint speed to clear large gaps

- Dodging enemy attacks

Like acrobatics? I am having trouble imagining an Ursine scaling over a wall, more like crashing into one and making a new entrance! :P Gwedolan on the other hand, given their smaller size and racial skill in climbing is a likely candidate.

A few people have mentioned tattoos, but I'd like to see tattoos used for more than just character customization and aesthetics. Sure, aesthetics would be one use--perhaps a limited number of options available at character creation, and then a wider variety that you can purchase from a tattoo artist.

But I'd also like to see them as something you can optionally acquire as you work your way up the ranks of a faction, for example. Maybe you can start with a basic tattoo when you join a particular faction and then add to it as you rise within the group or accomplish certain achievements to show off your growing status. Or it could be something simple just to show affiliation.

On the other hand, it could be mandatory for certain factions. Maybe you have to get a prominent tattoo as proof of loyalty and allegiance before you can become an official member or progress past a certain point. Or it could be something small and hidden, used as identification within a more secretive organization. You could even be branded as a punishment and a warning to others if you get caught committing certain crimes.

Using tattoos this way could result in different effects. I don't necessarily mean magical effects, though it would be cool to have enchanted tattoos available. But I mean that different people may react to you based on what tattoos you do or don't have. If you have a very visible faction tattoo, perhaps members of an opposing faction will attack as soon as they see it. Or certain npcs will only have dealings with you if you have a particular tattoo that shows you can be trusted. Maybe an individual, organization, or culture will simply have an aversion to tattoos in general and will have a lower opinion of any character with ink.

This is all just brainstorming some of the possibilities. Whatever uses they might have, I'd like to see tattoos have some significance beyond just making your character look cool.

Hey everyone,

I'm glad that there are so many RPG fans here who have shared their ideas and opinions. I've been trying to get up to speed on all the discussions going on. And I have to say, I agree with many things that have already been said! All very interesting discussions!

That said, I'll write my own thoughts on the different ideas in this long post, adding examples to make things more concrete where due. I want to note though that those are just ideas. The game can (or should I say will?) be awesome regardless.

So here goes nothing (in no particular order or just the order of writing)! Well, consider taking a bowl of chips :popcorn: and get into a relaxed position :holiday: , since this is a long post! Enjoy! :dance:

Changing NPCs
What I'd like to see is that characters can change. Certain (maybe not random) events can make a character change. Maybe from nice to bitter. Maybe from an hard ass to a silent person. Maybe from a good guy to someone driven by vengeance, planning meticulously to be able to exact his vengeance. Want to know more? Watch Law Abiding Citizen.

Disguise / incognito
Something interesting that's inspired by the Arrow series, is the idea that the player can disguise himself. Maybe you wear an Assassins Creed hoody and commit crimes. The guards can only identify you when you wear that same hoody. This makes it possible to be a criminal wearing a disguise and a noble when you are yourself.

Another implementation can be that when you wear a certain faction armor, people might at first glance think you're one of them.

Dog
Grond talking about his loyal dog has made us all warm for a dog pet (I myself might not necessarily want him as companion) which you can optionally micromanage for a great relationship. By teaching things, the dog can be used for a lot of things. To list a few:

• Tacking things down or following a trial.
  • A ruse or distraction to assassinate people or for other purposes.
  • To guard a house or shop.
  • To mitigate the loneliness of an open world game.

(Inter)Active world
Something that I'd like to see is a world that takes initiative and continues doing things, solving problems and evolve, even without the interferance of the player. E.g. assuming I could buy a store in one of the big cities, I hire someone to sell my stuff and earn money. I might be target to thugs, who vandalize my shop and want me to pay them for "protection". I might get robbed and lose a lot of profit. All kinds of things can happen. The main point here is the "reversability" of these events. I could track down the thugs and shake them up a little (or die trying). I could hire a guard, so the next time they come, my shop has protection. Or the next time, the thief gets cought. Or I could simply feel like the shop is not worth the effort and stop running one. Maybe even consider stealing myself, sounds rewarding...

In other words, I want to be able to have different options on how to react to events and solve them my own way.

Culture and well-known stories
Something small that I would suggest is that you pick certain well known stories and modify them to fit in the new game world. For example, even though the races believe in different gods, the gods might have done similar miracles. Or every culture has their own variation of a hero story in which a small group (300?!?) fought a much larger army and won.

Leveled vs fixed enemies
While reading, I was reminded of a quote from Batman Begins:
Jim Gordon: What about escalation?
Batman: Escalation?
Jim Gordon: We start carrying semi-automatics, they buy automatics. We start wearing Kevlar, they buy armor piercing rounds.
Batman: And?
Jim Gordon: And, you're wearing a mask. Jumping off rooftops. Now, take this guy. Armed robbery, double homicide, has a taste for the theatrical, like you. Leaves a calling card.

The point is, I think quite a few people don't like NPCs leveling up with the player. But if the player becomes something of a hero, then the bad guys might get more organised, train more, get better gear and focused on the player, adding to the difficulty. But not all bad guys will do this or have the resources to do so, so many groups of (e.g.) bandits might not get stronger.

So in a sense, some things do level with the player, but those changes might be more fluent or story driven. For example, if you fight bandits a lot, they might join forces to get rid of you. If you never fight necromancers, they might not evolve and stop leveling. I would like to emphasize that I don't (necessarily) mean that NPCs level depending on where the player is in a story. It's more about consequences to the players actions, which can be consequences of actions done within a certain story, multiple stories and/or random encounters.

Horror
Back in the day, I was young and played Morrowind. Part of the fun was that I was sincerely scared when walking in those native forts and Sixth House caves. Making the game somewhat scary and dark can really add to the immersion. Often in games, the player is strong enough to defeat most enemies and situations, which means it loses it's scariness, "no matter what I find, I'll defeat it.". Instead, I want to fear what's behind the corner and even more so when I walk around the corner and only see darkness. So, some dungeons might be designed more like horror games... hahaha.

When you introduce darkness into the game, it's also important to make realistic lighting. In Skyrim, the torch has a certain radius and beyond that radius, you can't see anything. Instead, you should be able to see further away, but everything gets less visible or more technically: receives less light to reflect. So, a bear sleeping in the dark might first look like a round stone, since you can't make out the fur and color. But when you can closer, it slowly starts to look off, until you realise it's not a stone and you think "oh shit" and freeze, looking around in anxiety, hoping that you didn't miss anything else (only to get a scare when bats fly by).

Stealth
Many games these days have a focus on stealth, so a well developed stealth system is almost a must. Stealth to me has two main focuses: environment and AI. Some races might see better in dark or smell better, in which case stealth will be very difficult. When you stand with a dark background, you're hard to see, so when characters look in your direction, they shouldn't be able to detect you. When you get closer, people can intuitvely sense your presence and go to a more alerted state. Skill in sneaking is primarily focused on silent movement. Also, realistically speaking, armor and bright colored clothes should impact your visibility. And the rest is up to the AI and balancing difficulty vs accessibility of playing a sneak type character. E.g. in Skyrim, I can sneak shoot a strong enemy in the distance and retreat, then the enemy looks for me, doesn't find me and returns to his position. Then I keep repeating this scenario to defeat the strong enemy or do enough damage I feel comfortable to go upclose. This to me is cheating. I shouldn't have to refrain from doing so, since if it's possibly, the reward behind the enemy is more tempting then keeping the immersion. Maybe in some cases it's realistic if people can't find what hit them, to give up and return to their post, but in more situations, they'd sound some form of an alarm, rally up more people and start a grid search with torches or other form of increasing visiblity.

As for stealth moves you can take cover on walls. Throw objects to alert and distract the enemy.  If the enemy is distracted you can perform a stealth attack and cause instant death or critical damage!

I second that. Features like those can make stealth much more rewarding.

Hardcore autosave
Something you can consider is adding the option to disable saving and introduce hardcore autosaving. So make my choices last, without the option to load a save game to undo something I did wrong. Reality is frustrating when you do something wrong and makes you have to try hard to fix it, having this in the game would make choices that much more interesting.

Magic
Something not seen often is magic that manipulates the world or my surroundings. This could be interesting.

Another form of magic that would be great (and is probably already on the menu) is shape-shifting.

If spell like stone skin are to only last 30 sec; then there needs to be a fluid way by hot key to swap to those spells to recast in a speedy manner and back to the spell you had. a 2 min fight is distracted by the constant recast need. In reality I as a magic user would not venture into a dungeon unprepaired (with a 30 shield spell) I would take the time to learn to cast and hold that spell for a reasonable time (1 or 2 min) so I could concentrate on killing my foe, I hate having to mess about in menu's looking for what I need in the middle of a fight, if you can't win with what you have at hand then so be it.

I agree with KiwiHawk. Sustainable spells is probably better then having to recast (meaning switch) all the time.

Arena
I really liked the arena from Oblivion, so an area to participate in would be nice. You can even consider making the arena an alternative start: fight for freedom. Get training, so you have a chance to win.

Guilds

Interaction between guild/faction more realistic: for example if I'm a merchant I can chose to join Merchant guild to have a protection from Thief guild, be indipendent and pay guard from Warrior guild or pay bribe to Thief guild or maybe also joyn the Thief guild and became a fence but not be a member of thief and merchant guild... unless I'm a duble-crosser (i don't know if it is the right word  :bagged: ) or a spy but this type of game should be hard to do because also guild have their informer.

I second that. I would like to add that guilds should have meaningful interaction with the world. Or in other words, the guilds should participate in events that happen in the world.

Skyrim fails in this. Dragons attack and the companions don't mind? The College of Winterhold doesn't try to take advantage for good PR? etc.

Items
I've read somewhere that you guys plan to make items race based, e.g. a lowlander human can't wear arror made for Ursine. While I agree about the realism for this, it can be very annoying to keep finding powerful items you can't use. Have you made plans to counter this or is it part of making the right powerful items rare? I'm not sure what solution I would want. I guess realism (not using immersion on purpose XD) is better and people are out of luck when they don't get the item they want.

Items & Economy & Rarity
Well, this is about balancing. I've played Darksiders 2, in which at start, 10.000 is much and at level 20, every item is worth about 20.000 to 50.000. Taking Elder Scrolls for example, they use leveled lists for shop to make strong items unavailable early in the game, which makes no sense in reality, but can be considered a good tool for balance.

What I'd like is the realism of having strong items up for sale from the start but too expensive. But also with realistic prices. So if enchanted items are rare, they are expensive. So, one shop might have 2 enchanted items that no other shop has, but other shops have other enchanted items. This makes for rarity, so expensive. Just an example.

If the game would allow me to play a merchant or shop owner, I could get rich, buy the best of gear and feel powerful even without skill... and when I go into combat, I just notice how weak I am since I lack skill. That's something I'd really enjoy.

This might mean that items don't improve much, which might not be desired in fantasy (e.g. Morrowind with little difference between steel and daedra).

Sandbox
Something I would like to see is a RPG sandbox game. With open accessible economy system. Crafting system. The opportunity to hire people (from guilds maybe?) for different jobs. Maybe we can cut trees (probably hire people to do so), which removes trees. Then we could build our house by hiring builders and investing the necessary resources or money to buy those resources.

It would be cool if the player could create their own guild...

This would be interesting as well. Something I like to see is that I can have meaningful friendships and relationships with people. When I help them or become friends in another way, then they might be interested to join my guild or help me with certain things (e.g. building my custom house).

I came across this video from totalbiscuit (John Bain). He did a wtf is ... on the game Guise of the Wolf. This is a new game, it just got released a few days ago. He is one of the game broadcasters / critics I refer to get a preview of a game before I play it. Basically this wtf is, what he has outlined comes across as a "What not to do" when making a video game.

Here is the link. Some of his points are really valid. I hope Druid will never make these mistakes. It hurts their bottom line, it hurts my investment.

Kia ora

I can not se anything close to that coming out of these guys man, that was made a 5 year old on his first play

round with Project Anarchy lol.

On another note I like to see a cause and effect result if and when the player talks to somebody and has their weapon drawn.

I really gets me that one can stand talking to a person with a weapon pointed at them or sword drawn with no effect, I learned

very fast in the army that you do NOT point a weapon at anyone less you mean them harm. even in the war games we had to

point in the direction but over the heads.

I think there should be some displeasure shown if you come to people with a weapon pointing at them, if there dialog that comes

right after a fight, fine, have a way to lower your weapon and or the odd "Thank you for your respect" type of dialog when you stay your

weapon

Here is the link. Some of his points are really valid. I hope Druid will never make these mistakes. It hurts their bottom line, it hurts my investment.

Sorry my ego is too big to release WTF games :rofl:

Only my ego is funny, to address the concern seriously, we would never release a game that was of such low quality, our investors and fans needn't worry about that happening. Our demo scene was of better quality. :D

I think the GoTW team was going for an art style that would help their game stand out, and it backfired on them. The game had a comic book feel to it and the story matter of werewolves is also popular. Stealth games is also enjoying a comeback. I think their initial concept is probably decent, but the execution is so poor, it got harder for casual players to ignore the flaws. I think you guys took (I think) a couple of weeks to put together the demo scene. For such a short time when the team still had to learn a lot of the tools, the result was encouraging.

I could never envisage this team releasing a sub-standard game. All the DGS devs are ridiculously critical of their own as well as each others work.  Our vision and goals for Unwritten are set at a high standard and we will not drop those standards for anything.   

I would NOT be here if I ever thought otherwise. Being familiar with the work of some of these guys ... I think I can safely say that we won`t be disappointed. :coolup:

I could never envisage this team releasing a sub-standard game. All the DGS devs are ridiculously critical of their own as well as each others work.  Our vision and goals for Unwritten are set at a high standard and we will not drop those standards for anything.   

This is why I took myself out of the rotation (pitchers and catchers report in 2 weeks so I have baseball on my mind ;) )  Personal things have made it impossible for me to deliver quality material in a timely fashion. I won't deliver sub-standard material to meet a deadline, so I'm off the roster for a while.

Just an example to corroborate JJ's high-falutin' post. :D

@Grond

I see. When I saw your name became Orange, I was thinking hopefully that means the project will not be affected. I hope we will be able to see you work on this full steam ahead when play season is over. Have a good season :) And if your plans should change, all the best also.